Article from the Gazette regarding 150 years of Robert Sayle
The Gazette is the journal of the John Lewis Partnership. It included a special report of the 150 years that there had been a Robert Sayle Store on the same site in St Andrew’s Street, Cambridge.
Robert Sayle himself, started the store, having had it bought for him by his father to set him up in business after he had spent some years working in the drapery trade in London, it was then handed to a set of Directors and became Robert Sayle and Co. The store was, for a short time, acquired by Selfridges Provincial Stores and then the lease was bought by the John Lewis Partnership in 1940.
Date of coverage1990
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
- Departments photographed prior to the closure of St Andrews Street and the temporary move to Burleigh Street. (44)
- Robert Sayle Rambling Club (started 1987) (40)
- Waterloo Club Lunch (39)
- 75th Anniversary Celebrations for Retired Partners (29)
- Lloyd;Philip (27)
- Carroll;Basil (25)
- Mitchell;Chris MD 1981-1992 (24)
- Walters;Audrey (24)
- Howard;Lorna (23)
- Turkentine;Olive (22)
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.